Grand Slam Turkey Meatballs
in Barilla® Jumbo Shells
- Total Fat
Ingredients for 12 people
- 1 package Barilla® Jumbo Shells, prepared according to package directions
- 1 jar Barilla® Marinara sauce
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (½ cup)
- ½ cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 12-ounce package shredded broccoli slaw mix, steamed (optional)
1Preheat oven to 350°F. For meatballs, in a large bowl, combine mushrooms, onion, egg, bread crumbs, black pepper, and salt. Add ground turkey and mix well. Using slightly wet hands, shape mixture into thirty-six 2-inch meatballs.
2Coat a very large oven-safe nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Cook meatballs, half at a time, in hot skillet for 8 minutes or until evenly browned, turning occasionally.
3Return all meatballs to skillet. Add sauce and transfer to oven. Bake 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
4Transfer each meatball to a jumbo shell “glove.” Spoon additional sauce atop each meatball. Use mozzarella cheese to make the “stitching” on each meatball for baseballs. If desired, serve on a “grass” field of steamed broccoli slaw.