"I have taken the principle of carbonara, and switched it up with sausages and fresh parsley to create quick and easy meatballs, instead of using the traditional Guanciale (cured pig’s cheek). A handful of asparagus into the mix brings a bit of freshness to this gorgeous plate of food. So good."
Recipe adapted from 5 Ingredients by Jamie Oliver. Copyright © 2019 Jamie Oliver Enterprises. Reproduced with permission from Flatiron Books. All rights reserved. Photography by Ella Miller.
- Total Fat
- Total Carbohydrates
Ingredients 2 Servings
- 5 oz Barilla® Spaghetti
- sea salt and black pepper
- 7 oz asparagus
- 3 Italian sausages (higher-welfare if you can find them)
- olive oil
- ½ ounce of fresh Italian parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 oz pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta in a pan of boiling salted water according to the package instructions, then drain, reserving a cupful of cooking water.
Meanwhile, snap the woody ends off the asparagus and cut the spears into three, at an angle. Squeeze the sausage meat out of the skins, then, with wet hands, quickly shape into 18 even-sized balls.
- Roll and coat them in black pepper, then cook in a non-stick frying pan on a medium heat with ½ a tablespoon of olive oil until golden and cooked through, tossing regularly. Add the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes, until tender, then turn off the heat.
- Finely chop the parsley, stalks and all, beat it with the egg and a splash of pasta cooking water, then finely grate and mix in most of the cheese.
Toss the drained pasta into the sausage pan, pour in the egg mixture, and toss for 1 minute off the heat (the egg will gently cook in the residual heat).
- Loosen with a good splash of reserved cooking water, season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper, and finely grate over the remaining cheese. Delicious served with a green salad.
GO VEGGIE: To make this recipe vegetarian, use your favorite veggie sausages and swap the Parmesan or pecorino for a vegetarian hard cheese.