Ingredients for 7 servings
- 1 box Barilla® Protein+™ Penne
- 2 medium eggplants, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped in 1/4-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes
- 3 sprigs fresh basil
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup ricotta salata cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Place eggplants on a dry sheet pan and place in oven to bake until soft and dark golden brown, about 12-14 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- Bring 6 quarts water to a boil and add a pinch of salt.
- Heat olive oil in a 12 to 14-inch skillet until smoking.
- Add the onion and the garlic and cook until soft but not yet browned, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, basil, and thyme bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Add eggplant and simmer about 6 minutes remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook pasta 1 minute less than package directions. Drain well and pour the hot pasta into the pan with the eggplant mixture.
- Toss over medium heat to mix and then pour into a heated serving dish.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese, parsley, chili flakes and torn basil leaves; Drizzle with olive oil and serve.