Beef Bourguignon traditionally references beef braised in red wine, stock, and vegetables such as carrots and onions. This version of the classic recipe features pinot noir, root vegetables and Barilla Penne pasta.
Ingredients 8 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ pound beef sirloin, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 cup, Pinot Noir wine
- ½ cup, chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- ½ cup, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In a large skillet heat half the olive oil and sear off the meat until browned on all sides, season with salt and pepper.
- Remove meat from the skillet and add the remaining olive oil, onion and garlic, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add diced carrot and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the fresh thyme and red wine, bring to a simmer, and reduce by ½.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer, fold in tomato paste.
- Once simmering, add back the browned meat and the diced root vegetables. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
Cook pasta according to the package directions, drain and toss with the sauce to combine.
Garnish with cheese and lemon zest.