- 1 box Barilla Penne pasta
- 1 jar of Barilla Marinara Pasta Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup ground hickory smoked bacon (optional)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt, black pepper to taste
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese to taste, grated
- 10 basil leaves, torn
If using bacon, cook until crisp. Add onion and sauté 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
If not using bacon*, heat skillet with olive oil, add onion and sauté 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
Add tomato sauce, simmer for 10 minutes.
Add heavy cream, salt and black pepper and simmer for two more minutes.
Cook pasta according to directions, drain and toss with the sauce.
Top with cheese and basil before serving.