Cooking Tip: Vodka is used in this sauce, but it is simmered along with the heavy cream, cooking off the alcohol in the dish.
Ingredients 8 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Penne
- 1 yellow onion, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup Vodka
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated, divided
- Parsley or Basil, chopped for garnish
- Salt black pepper, to taste
In a skillet over med-high heat add 3 tablespoons olive oil, onion, and garlic. Cook for 3-5 min. or until onion is translucent.
Add crushed red pepper and tomato paste, stirring and cooking for an additional minute.
Add vodka and reduce alcohol. Season, add heavy cream, and bring to a simmer.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Reserving ½ cup of pasta cooking water, drain pasta and add to the sauce.
Add ½ cup of pasta cooking water, mix well. Remove skillet from the heat; add ½ of the cheese and toss well.
Garnish with remaining cheese, remaining olive oil and herbs.