A specialty of Abruzzo, the region located in central Italy, this Rigatoni with Tomato and Ricotta brings to life Abruzzo's famous aromatic style tomato sauce (or sugo). Paired al dente Barilla® Rigatoni pasta, this classic dish is simple and affordable without needing to sacrifice flavor. The fresh ricotta cheese elevates this meal and adds a creamy richness to the sauce.
Ingredients 8 Servings
Ingredients for 8 people
- 1 box Barilla® Rigatoni pasta
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-oz can “San Marzano” chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Romano cheese, grated
- 6 leaves basil, torn
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of water to boil; cook pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, in a skillet sauté onion with half the olive oil for 3 minutes over medium heat, when it turns translucent add garlic and one minute later add tomatoes with 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for ten minutes.
- Add ricotta, salt and pepper and simmer for five more minutes.
- Drain pasta and toss with sauce for one minute.
- Turn heat off. Before serving stir in Romano and basil; drizzle with remaining olive oil.