- Total Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
Ingredients for 8 people
- 1 box Barilla® Elbows
- 1 small head Romanesco cauliflower, tough parts discarded
- ¾ cup shredded Monterey Jack or Fontina cheese
- ¾ cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Ground paprika or crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 cup Whole milk
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Corn starch
- 2 tbs Water
- ½ cup, grated Parmigiano
- Salt to taste
Alfredo Sauce ProcedureBring milk and cream to boil, lower the heat and add garlic powder. Meanwhile dilute corn starch with water, add to the sauce along with salt, whisk well and simmer for two minutes. Turn off heat, stir in cheese.
- Remove florets from cauliflower and cut into 1-inch pieces (you should have about 4 cups of florets). Cut core into large sections (you should have about 1 cup of cauliflower core).
- In a large pot, bring 4 to 6 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Add salt to taste and the cauliflower core. Return water to a boil, and boil uncovered for about 15 minutes or until cauliflower is very soft.
- Using a slotted spoon, drain cauliflower core and transfer to a blender. Add the sauce and blend until very smooth; transfer to a small saucepan and heat through over medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, return the pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta; stir gently. Cook according to package directions, adding the cauliflower florets for the last 8 minutes of cooking time; remove from heat and drain well.
- Toss pasta and florets with sauce; add cheeses and salt; stir until well combined.
To serve, sprinkle with paprika or crushed red pepper, if desired.
Customize it: Vary by using orange cauliflower to add color and nutrients.