Wine pairing: Primitivo is “full bodied”, a good structure wine that can stand up well with this rich, assertive flavor pasta, or a Zinfandel for the same reasons.
Ingredients 8 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Thin Spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 14-ounce can chopped Italian tomatoes
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts leaves
- 2/3 cup Romano cheese, grated
- Salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
In a skillet sauté onion with 2 tablespoons olive oil until translucent, about three minutes. Add garlic, cook an additional two minutes, stir in sausage, crumble and brown well.
Deglaze with wine and reduce to half, add tomatoes, two cups of water, salt and red pepper, simmer for about half hour until water is evaporated and sauce is thick.
In a separate skillet sauté Brussels sprouts leaves with remaining olive oil, salt and pepper until slightly browned and thoroughly cooked, about five minutes.
Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions, drain and toss with meat sauce, top with Brussels sprouts and cheese before serving.