Barilla® Collezione Penne
with Kale & Lemon Chili Bread Topping
This is not your average lemon kale pasta. The base of the sauce is made by sautéing garlic with kale, adding white wine, chicken broth, and reserved pasta water. The pasta water brings all of the flavor elements together and binds the sauce to the pasta. The panko bread crumbs are toasted with extra virgin olive oil, freshly grated lemon zest, chili flakes, sea salt and cracked black pepper. The rich depth of sauce coats the penne pasta, and the spicy breadcrumb topping adds the perfect crunch. The result is a delicious and easy dish ideal for weeknights.
- Total Fat
- Total Carbs
Ingredients 8 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Collezione Penne
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, small diced
- 1 bunch, kale, chopped
- ½ cup White wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add in your chopped garlic. Once the garlic picks up a hint of color, add your kale, and sauté for approximately 3 minutes or until wilted and soft.
- Add the white wine and reduce the by ¾ then add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions.
- While pasta is cooking, combine the breads crumbs, chili flakes, lemon zest and remaining olive oil in small skillet, season with salt and pepper then toast over medium heat.
- Add ½ cup of the pasta cooking water to the skillet with the kale then drain and toss the pasta with the sauce and stir to combine.
- Top with cheese and crunchy bread crumb topping.