Chef Lorenzo Boni created this recipe as an explosion of Umami. The sweetness of roasted onion, carrots, marsala wine perfectly blend with the slightly bitter taste of roasted beef bones, the savory flavor of celery and sea salt and slightly sour note brought in again by the marsala wine. Everything combines very well with the simple grain flavor of Barilla® Collezione Spaghetti and the “Umami rich” addition of aged Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Chef Lorenzo used the “risotto style” technique for added creamy texture of the sauce.
Ingredients 8 Servings
Beef Bone Broth
- 3 pounds beef bones
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 Plum tomatoes
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1 box Barilla® Collezione Spaghetti
- 1 quart bone broth
- 1 quart boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter, diced
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
Roast bones and vegetables together in the oven at 400° F until brown, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in flour, mix well and deglaze with wine. Scrape the bottom of the pan well and move into a saucepan.
- Add 2 quarts water, tomato paste and parsley; gently simmer until reduced to half, about two hours.
- Strain and bring back to a boil.
In a skillet, bring broth to a boil, add pasta and cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently; adding boiling broth as needed until one minute short of the full package cook time.
- The goal is to complete the cooking process while the broth is reduced while perfectly coating the pasta.
- Turn heat off, stir in parsley, butter and cheese; stir continuously until dissolved and creamy texture is reached. If needed loosen up the sauce with a touch of the broth.