Ingredients 4 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Chickpea Rotini pasta
- 3 cups butternut squash, diced into small pieces (½ for puree, ½ for roasting)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups 2% milk, warm
- ½ pound cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- Fresh parsley or chives, chopped [optional]
- Salt and white pepper to taste
In a small pot boil 1/2 of the butternut squash until fully cooked, let cool, then process in a blender with enough cooking liquid to make a puree.
Pre-heated oven to 425°F, roast the remaining half of the butternut squash with olive oil, salt, and pepper until golden brown and fully cooked.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan sauté garlic in butter until slightly yellow in color. Add flour and make a roux, cook for about 3 minutes on medium heat. Add warm milk and bring to a simmer, let simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add butternut squash puree to the roux then remove from heat and add cheddar and Gouda slowly to incorporate.
Cook pasta 1 minute less than package directions, drain and toss with the sauce.
Top with roasted butternut squash and parsley or chives [optional].