Amatriciana is a spicy pasta sauce with tomatoes, chili flakes, onion, cured meat, and parmesan cheese. Traditionally the sauce is made with guanciale, which is a cured meat made from pork jowl, however this can easily be substituted with pancetta, which is much easier to find in local stores.
Ingredients 4 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Red Lentil Spaghetti
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 20-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup of water
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 ounces pancetta
- ½ cup of Romano cheese, grated
- 6 leaves fresh basil, sliced thin
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of water to a boil then add salt.
- In a large skillet, cook onions and chili flakes with olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
Add pancetta and cook until crispy.
Add tomatoes and water bring to a simmer for 15 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain pasta. Add pasta to sauce and toss.
Remove skillet from heat, fold in cheese and basil before serving.