Chef’s Tip: Cooking kale can be tricky as it is a fibrous tough vegetable. One way to help with the kale cooking process, is to remove the stems, rip the leaves into smaller pieces. When washing the kale, intentionally bruise or massage it between your hands. This helps the vegetable cook more evenly.
Ingredients 7 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Protein+® Angel Hair pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ yellow onion, small dice
- 1 red pepper, small dice
- 12 ounces Italian sausage, bulk
- 2 ounces baby kale, or 1 bundle of kale, stems removed
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Crushed red pepper to taste (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
In a skillet over medium heat add olive oil, onion, and garlic. Cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add red pepper and cook an additional minute.
Add sausage and brown thoroughly, about 5 minutes. Season, add tomato sauce and vegetable broth bringing to a simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the kale until wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and then add to the sauce with the sausage and kale in the skillet. Top with cheese.