This flavorful recipe combines grilled chicken with warm bread and our delicious Rustic Basil Pesto for a dish you can enjoy all year-round. Boneless, skinless chicken breast is combined with a portion of pesto, salt, and pepper to taste and then seared to perfection. The remaining pesto is spread on a warm, toasted ciabatta roll and then assembled with fresh mozzarella cheese, arugula, tomato, and chicken.
High-quality, fragrant Italian basil is combined with freshly grated Italian cheeses to create Barilla’s Rustic Basil Pesto sauce. It’s the perfect addition to a variety of dishes, including veggies, fish, pizza, and sandwiches.
Ingredients 7 Servings
- 1 jar Barilla® Rustic Basil Pesto, divided
- 4 ciabatta rolls, sliced open
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese (8 oz. ball)
- 4 boneless skinless Chicken breast, small (4 oz. each)
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 plum tomato, 8 slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Toss chicken with ½ pesto, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Grill chicken until fully cooked (approximately 6-7 min. per side).
- Place olive oil on inside of the bread. Grill bread until toasted (approximately 10 seconds).
- Remove bread from the grill, spread remaining pesto onto grilled side of the bread.
- Assemble sandwich layering 2 slices of cheese, arugula, 2 slices of tomato, chicken, and bread.