Made with fresh and shelf stable ingredients, this easy 7 layer dip recipe has something everyone at the party will love. Whether you are looking for snacks for the big game, or need simple appetizers for a crowd, this dip is perfect to add to your table. Barilla Rustic Basil Pesto uses fragrant Italian basil, and freshly grated Italian cheeses adding Italian twist to this dish.
Ingredients 8 Servings
- 1 jar Barilla® Rustic Basil Pesto sauce
- 1 pound fresh whole-milk mozzarella cheese, sliced and drained well
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 pound whole-milk ricotta cheese, drained well
- 1 8-ounce jar roasted red peppers, chopped, and drained well
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 12-ounce jar artichoke hearts, chopped and drained well
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 baguette, sliced on the bias
- 1 whole grain baguette, sliced on the bias
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Spray medium-sized baking dish/bowl with non-stick cooking spray.
In a skillet over medium heat add 1 teaspoon olive oil and Italian sausage. Season and cook for 2-3 min. or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
In the same skillet add 1 teaspoon olive oil, arugula and spinach, wilt and set aside.
In the same skillet add 1 teaspoon olive oil and cherry tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 min., add tomato sauce, and set aside.
Assemble bowl with 7 layers. Sliced mozzarella, cherry tomatoes with Italian sausage, pesto, ricotta, roasted red peppers, arugula/spinach, and the final layer artichoke hearts/shredded mozzarella/Parmigiano.
Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then 5 additional minutes uncovered or until browned.
Meanwhile, drizzle bread with remaining olive oil. Bake for 4-5 min. so bread and dip are finished at the same time. Garnish with basil leaves.