Barilla® Ditalini Pasta Shakshuka
Doctor up your Barilla jarred pasta sauce with Ditalini pasta and eggs!
While versions of Shakshuka can be found throughout the Middle East, the dish originates from Northern Africa. Traditionally made with eggs poached in a hearty tomato sauce, it can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Photo Credit: Lou Manna
Ingredients 4 Servings
- ¼ box Barilla® Ditalini pasta
- 1 jar Barilla® Marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 eggs
- Kocher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1-cup pasta cooking water.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in 12-inch skillet on medium heat. Add peppers and onions; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic, red pepper and cumin. Cook 30 seconds. Stir in sauce; season with salt and pepper. Simmer 2 minutes.
- Add pasta and reserved pasta cooking water; mix well. Bring to a simmer.
- Crack eggs gently into pasta mixture, spacing evenly in pan; cover. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until eggs are cooked through but still soft. Serve immediately from pan.