This recipe was created by Binjal Pandya on behalf of Barilla®.
Ingredients 4 Servings
- ½ box Barilla® Elbows pasta
- ¼ cup Barilla® Rustic Basil Pesto
- 2-3 tablespoons Barilla® Rustic Basil Pesto for spreading
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups low-fat milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 multigrain bread slices
- 1 cup tomatoes, cucumber, red radish, sliced
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons butter for grilling sandwiches
- Salt to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in the same pot over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until completely combined; cook about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in a little bit of milk until smooth, then whisk in remaining milk until smooth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, stirring occasionally, until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Stir in pesto, salt, and pepper. Then add cooked pasta, mix until pasta and sauce are evenly combined. Set aside to cool down.
- Spread pesto on one bread slice. Next, arrange sliced veggies and fresh basil on top, as desired. Place a spoonful of pesto mac ‘n’ cheese and spread over arranged veggies. Cover with another slice of bread. Grill both sides by spreading butter and toasting until golden brown.