Italian Chicken Soup
Embrace the savory smell and taste of this vitamin-packed, immunity-boosting, fragrant chicken soup recipe for orzo pasta.
Italian Chicken Soup Recipe for Orzo PastaThis isn't your usual chicken noodle soup recipe. This is chicken orzo soup, and it takes this classic dish to new, exciting places. Al dente orzo swim in a flavorful Italian soup broth with diced celery, halved tomatoes, fresh spinach, garlic, and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. For additional chicken soup recipe adventures, try any of our other soup pasta shapes like ditalini and pastina.
- Total Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
Ingredients for 4 people
- 1/2 box Barilla® Orzo
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 pound fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Combine chicken, celery, carrots, bay leaves, and onions in a stock pot; cover with water and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cook for 30 minutes.
Strain and reserve the broth; skin and remove the bones from the chicken. Cut meat into small pieces.
- Sauté chicken cut in small pieces with oil and garlic.
- Add halved tomatoes and spinach Season with salt and pepper; sauté two additional minutes.
- Bring 8 cups of the chicken broth back to a boil, add orzo pasta and cook for 6 minutes.
- Add chicken, spinach and tomatoes and boil 3 additional minutes. Let the chicken orzo soup rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Top Italian soup with cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.