Life of the Party
This is a sponsored post written by Courtney Dial Whitmore on behalf of Barilla®.
Let's chat about one of my very favorite topics, appetizers! When I poll readers, I'm constantly asked for even more appetizer recipes because y'all love to entertain friends and family with easy (but delicious) appetizer recipes. And I love it! I'm here with a new favorite; Pesto Pinwheels made with Barilla® Sun-Dried Tomato pesto!
Pesto is definitely one of those "kitchen staples" that every hostess should keep on-hand for whipping up delicious appetizers. Pesto isn't just for pasta, ya'll! It can easily elevate the taste and appeal of almost any dish whether you're cooking for one or for a crowd.
When it comes to pesto, there isn't just one variety. In fact, Barilla® makes several, and I can personally attest that they're all delicious. Each one definitely has its own "pesto personality". Do you remember those quizzes in magazines that tell you what type of personality you are? I LOVE those! Take a look at the pesto varieties below. Can you guess which one I am?
- Barilla Rustic Basil - The New Traditionalist (Loves classic dishes and putting spins on traditional recipes).
- Barilla Classic Genovese - The Passionate Purist (Obsessed with plating, presentation and modernity with their recipes).
- Barilla Creamy Ricotta & Arugula - The Bold Adventurer (Adventurous in the kitchen and enjoys travel and cultural ingredients).
- Barilla Sun-Dried Tomato - Life of the Party (Expressive party hosts, decorators and DIYers with a strong voice).
If you guessed Life of the Party, you're right! Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto is definitely the pesto with a little extra "pizzazz". It has a bit of "something" that takes just a pretty good appetizer to a DYNAMITE appetizer. The deep, robust sun-dried tomato flavor is perfect for pairing with so many party dishes from spreads and marinades to sauces too!
The Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto is made with 100% Italian basil, garlic, onions, capers, and oregano so you know you'll be infusing your dishes with so many incredible flavors without being stuck in the kitchen all day. This last part is especially important when hosting a party (read my story below). Who has time to fuss all day with one appetizer? I want to share ideas with you that give you one less thing to worry about so the next time you need a party appetizer you can be confident that these Pesto Pinwheels with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto will be a crowd-pleaser.
When I first started entertaining (in grad school), I hosted a birthday party for a dear friend. I spent all day preparing the recipes and when I heard the doorbell, I was still in my apron, the kitchen a total mess, and my table wasn't set. Cue PANIC. I was so fixated on making my recipes completely from scratch that I missed the most important part of hosting a party: the guests! I was barely able to visit with the birthday girl and friends as I was hurrying around the kitchen trying to clean up and set the table. Learn from my mistakes and have a few "go to" appetizers that can be pulled together in a matter of minutes without ever turning the oven on (especially in the summer months)! Thankfully, I've learned a lot about entertaining since those early parties. ;)
Pesto Pinwheels with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 2 jars Barilla® Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves, rinsed
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 4 large flour tortillas
- Sauté spinach until wilted, chop and set aside.
- Soften cream cheese and stir together with chopped spinach and grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Spread one fourth of the cream cheese mixture onto each large flour tortilla. Spread roughly 1/3 cup of Barilla Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto on top of cream cheese mixture, being sure to spread to edges.
- Tightly roll each flour tortilla and cut with a serrated knife. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Enjoy!
The key with easy recipes is that they also taste amazing (no skimping on flavor here)! The Barilla Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto is so versatile and convenient that I can't stop incorporating it into so many party appetizers. Every party hostess should keep a few jars on hand. Stay tuned for a few more that I can't wait to share with ya'll soon!
What’s your Pesto Personality? Share your creations on Instagram using #PestoBesto!
Register for an account on Barilla.com to receive our weekly newsletter, coupons and savings on our pasta and sauces, as well as recipe and pasta meal ideas.REGISTER NOW