Ingredients for 6 people
- 1 box Collezione Orecchiette
- 1 eggplant, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white
- ¾ cup Romano cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, julienne
- 1 can chopped Italian style tomato
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 10 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 ¼ cups water
- In a large skillet, sauté the eggplant with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, ¾ cup of water, and salt until soft and moisture is evaporated. Transfer mixture into a bowl then chill.
- Once chilled completely, use a fork to smash the eggplant into a puree-like substance. Stir in breadcrumbs, egg white, and season with ½ cup of cheese and a bit of salt if needed then chill mixture. Once eggplant mixture has been chilled, roll into 1-inch (golf ball size) balls.
- Meanwhile, cook onions with remaining oil until soft and translucent, add tomatoes, ½ cup of water and red pepper flakes, simmer for 2 minutes, season.
- Gently place eggplant balls into sauce and cover them. Cook for 3 more minutes over medium heat (check internal temp).
- Cook pasta according to directions and then toss with sauce in the skillet.
- Remove the skillet from the flame and add the remaining cheese and basil, then stir gently to combine.