8 Ways with Stuffed Shells
Change up a family favorite with these flavorful combinations for stuffed shells. From meat and sausage to lentils and veggies, your family will love this classic dinner, any way you make it. You can use our basic formula, or select from the variations below.
• Cook 1 box Barilla® Jumbo Shells according to package directions; cover and set aside.
• Preheat oven to 350°F.
• In a medium bowl mix 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 cup ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper; stir in Mix-Ins. (See below and select your favorite option.)
• In a 13x9x2-inch baking dish pour 1 cup Barilla Sauce. (See below.) Fill each shell with 1 heaping tablespoon of your choice of fillings below; place in baking dish; pour remaining sauce over shells and cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated; let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Variations on the Basic Formula
1. Lentil/Carrot Stuffed Shells
Mix-Ins: 1 cup cooked and drained lentils and 1 cup shredded carrot
Sauce: Barilla Chunky Traditional
2. 3-Cheese/Spinach-Stuffed Shells
Mix-Ins: 2 cups thawed frozen spinach, squeezed dry
Sauce: Barilla Three Cheese Sauce
3. Chicken/Black Bean Stuffed Shells
Mix-Ins: 1 cup cooked and drained black beans, 1 cup shredded cooked chicken, and shredded cheddar instead of mozzarella
Sauce: Barilla Roasted Garlic
4. Spicy Sausage-Stuffed Shells
Mix-Ins: 1 cup diced mushrooms and 1 cup crumbled and cooked spicy Italian sausage
Sauce: Barilla Spicy Marinara
5. Asparagus/Pesto Stuffed Shells
Mix-Ins: 2 cups lightly steamed asparagus, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
Sauce: Barilla Traditional Basil Pesto
6. Cheese-and-Peas Stuffed Shells
Mix-Ins: 2 cups thawed frozen peas
Sauce: Barilla Creamy Alfredo
7. Greek Stuffed Shells
Mix-Ins: 1 cup thawed frozen spinach, squeezed dry; 1/2 cup diced and pitted Kalamata olives; and 1/2 cup feta cheese
Sauce: Barilla Sweet Peppers Sauce
8. White Bean/Sweet Potato Stuffed Shells
Mix-Ins: 1 cup roasted sweet potato, diced; and 1 cup white beans
Sauce: Barilla Garlic Alfredo