Try Barilla's baked ziti with cheese recipe made with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. This classic Italian-American casserole is perfect for cheese lovers!
Ingredients for 8 people
- 1 box Barilla® Ziti
- 2 cups Barilla® Marinara sauce
- 2 ⅔ tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pound Buffalo Mozzarella cheese, cut Into 1/4-inch cubes
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- For the Bechamel sauce: heat butter in a medium sauce pan until melted. Add flour and stir until smooth. Cook over medium heat until light golden brown, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in separate pan until just about to boil.
- Add milk to butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth and bring to a boil. Cook 30 seconds and remove from heat.
- Season with nutmeg and 2 teaspoons salt and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and add 2 tablespoons salt (optional).
- Cook pasta for 30 seconds less than the package instructions.
- Add Marinara sauce, Bechamel, mozzarella, and grated cheese to the pasta and mix well.
- Divide pasta and sauce mixture among six individual gratin dishes. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until bubbling and crusty on top. Serve immediately.