Ditalini Pasta Soup with White Beans
Similar to Pasta e Fagioli, this pasta soup features ditalini, Cannellini beans, tomatoes, and parsley. Unlike Pasta e Fagioli, which is often a vegetarian soup recipe, this White Bean Ditalini Soup calls for chicken broth to highlight its protein content and the earthy flavors each ingredient has to offer. You'll appreciate this bean and pasta soup's protein content and rich flavors!
Serves 6 people
- 1 1/2 cup Barilla® Ditalini
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 19 ounces can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 large plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped and divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided and freshly grated
1Heat olive oil in large stockpot over medium-high heat.
2Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
3Add broth and beans; heat to simmer.
4Stir in tomatoes, pasta, 2 tablespoons parsley, oregano, pepper and salt.
5Boil 10 to 12 minutes or until ditalini is tender, stirring occasionally.
6Stir in remaining parsley and ½ cup cheese.
7Serve with remaining cheese.