Barilla’s Chef Lorenzo Boni hit a home run with this quick and easy Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe by using fresh ingredients and a combination of savory Italian Sausage and ground beef. The aromatics of this dish are irresistible and make for a delicious meal the whole family will enjoy!
Ingredients 8 Servings
- 1 box Barilla® Thick Spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped, divided
- 1 28-oz can San Marzano Crushed Tomatoes
- 3 slices white bread, no crust, diced
- 1 ¼cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated, divided
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef 80/20
- 2 links Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 12 basil leaves, sliced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
In a saucepan gently sauté onion with olive oil for five minutes, add 1 chopped clove of garlic, continue sautéing and one minute later add tomatoes. Add one cup of water, salt and pepper then bring to simmer. Meanwhile, soak bread in water.
- In a bowl combine meat, ¾ cup of cheese, parsley, 1 clove chopped garlic and soaked bread [squeeze out excess water]. Mix and when all comes together [very important not to overmix] shape 1-inch size meatballs.
- Add meatballs to tomato sauce; simmer until thoroughly cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil; cook pasta according to package directions.
Drain pasta and toss with meatball sauce. Finish with basil, remaining cheese and a drizzle of olive oil before serving.