Chicken Pesto Summer Primavera
with Barilla® Penne Pasta
- Total Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
Ingredients for 8 people
- 1 box Barilla® Penne
- 1 jar Barilla® Basil Pesto
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2-inch strips (about 1 pound)
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Sliced fresh basil leaves, optional
1In a large pot, bring 4 to 6 quarts of water to a rolling boil; add salt to taste and the pasta; stir gently, then cook pasta according to package directions; remove from heat, reserve some pasta water, and drain well.
2While the pasta cooks, in an extra-large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
3Lightly season the chicken breast strips with salt and ground black pepper; add to the skillet and cook 6 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink (165°F). Drain, if necessary.
4In the skillet, add the remaining tablespoon oil along with the zucchini and squash; cook 2 to 3 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
5Reduce heat to low, stir in the pasta. Remove from heat. Add pesto and 2 tablespoons reserved pasta water. Stir to coat. Stir in the tomatoes.
6Spoon mixture into bowls. Top each bowl with some of the shaved Parmesan cheese. Garnish with fresh basil leaves, if desired.