- Total Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
Ingredients for 8 people
- 1 box Barilla® Penne
- 1 jar Barilla® Rustic Basil Pesto
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2-inch strips (about 1 pound)
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Sliced fresh basil leaves, optional
- In a large pot, bring 4 to 6 quarts of water to a rolling boil; add salt to taste and the pasta; stir gently, then cook pasta according to package directions; remove from heat, reserve some pasta water, and drain well.
- While the pasta cooks, in an extra-large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Lightly season the chicken breast strips with salt and ground black pepper; add to the skillet and cook 6 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink (165°F). Drain, if necessary.
- In the skillet, add the remaining tablespoon oil along with the zucchini and squash; cook 2 to 3 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in the pasta. Remove from heat. Add pesto and 2 tablespoons reserved pasta water. Stir to coat. Stir in the tomatoes.
- Spoon mixture into bowls. Top each bowl with some of the shaved Parmesan cheese. Garnish with fresh basil leaves, if desired.