- TOTAL FAT
- TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE
Ingredients 8 Servings
Ingredients for 8 people
- 1 box Barilla® Ziti
- 1 jar Barilla® Savory Tomato Sauce
- 1 pound ground spicy Italian sausage
- 12 oz shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 8 ounces Fontina cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Heat a very large oven-going skillet over medium heat. Add sausage; break up with a wooden spoon and cook 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes more or until sausage is completely browned and mushrooms are softened. Stir in Marinara sauce.
- Meanwhile in a large pot bring 4 to 6 quarts of water to a rolling boil; add salt to taste and the Ziti; stir gently.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; remove from heat and drain well.
- Gently stir half of the cheese and the pasta into the sausage mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- In a small bowl stir together the panko, parsley, and oil. Sprinkle over cheese.
- Bake about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and topping is lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Customize it: Make a double batch and store one in the freezer for a future meal. For a less expensive alternative to the shiitakes, trade in sliced button mushrooms or Baby Bellas.