Barilla for Professionals
1st VIRTUAL GASTRONOMIC COMPETITION
“Pasta is Art”
Art. 1 - SUBJECT
The Competition is organized by Barilla Australia Pty Limited (ABN 69 088 421 738) (Barilla) (Organiser) in collaboration with Federazione Italiana Cuochi - Associazione FIC Australia Incorporated (ABN 23 228 661 071) (“FIC Australia”) for professional chefs with the aim of creating pasta dishes, representative of art (Competition).
By participating in the Competition, you unconditionally agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
Art. 2 - PARTICIPANTS
The Competition is only open to persons aged 18 years or older who are Australian residents and currently residing in Australia.
Entrants must be professional chefs/cooks, working in the F&B Industry, in a venue where pasta is usually on the menu. You must be either a chef or a cook who has worked in the industry since 2010. A “cook” means someone who has worked to prepare food in an established restaurant’s kitchen.
Directors, management and employees (and their immediate families) of the Organiser are not eligible to enter the Competition. “Immediate family” means spouse, parent, natural or adopted child and sibling (whether natural or adopted by parent), regardless of whether they reside in the same household as the employee. The Organiser reserves the right to disqualify any person that they know is, or has reasonable grounds to believe is, ineligible to participate in the Competition.
Art. 3 - TERMS OF PARTICIPATION
The competition will take place in two phases:
3.1 The first phase of the Competition (Phase 1) takes place on Instagram. To enter the Competition, entrants must post a photo of a Barilla pasta dish that the entrant has cooked themselves, with the name of the dish.
The photo must be posted to Instagram between 12:00am AEST [20th September 2021] and 11:59pm AEDT [11th October 2021] (4-week entry period) (Phase 1 Period) on Instagram using the hashtags #BarillaAUS, #WorldPastaMonth, #BarillaChefNetwork. Entries posted outside the Phase 1 Period will not be valid or considered.
The following criteria will be used by the judging panel appointed by the Organiser to evaluate each entry:
- Entire dish must be edible and cooked (excluding garnish)
- Parallelism between pasta and art
- Pasta as the hero of the dish
- The use of seasonal products
- No waste: the use of a circular kitchen, where every possible part of the ingredient is used.
Entrants may submit one entry per person during the Phase 1 Period. The Organiser accepts no responsibility for any late, incomplete, incorrectly posted, delayed, corrupted or misdirected entries.
In order to be valid, entries must:
- be posted on Instagram publically (your Instagram account must not be set to ‘private’) and contain the hashtags set out above;
- be clear and of a reasonable quality;
- not contain any language, image or other content that is likely to be considered offensive, explicit, dangerous or harmful;
- be the original work of the entrant themselves;
- not infringe on any third party intellectual property rights without the rights holder's prior written permission.
Entrants must be available to attend the live virtual final if selected. 3.2 The top 5 entries received during the Phase 1 Period (as selected by the judging panel in their discretion and based on the evaluation guidelines outlined at Art.3.1 above) will be selected as finalists (Finalists) for the second phase (Phase 2).
The judging panel reserve the right to determine additional next best entries following the top 5 entries. The entrants that have prepared these entries (Runners Up) may be contacted to attend the live virtual final if any of the Finalists are unable to participate in the live final.
Phase 2 is a live virtual final, taking place via Zoom on 25th October 2021 at [3:00pm AEDT] (World Pasta Day). The 5 finalists will be notified by [15th October 2021] that they are invited to participate in the live final. If selected as a Finalist, you will be asked for a full recipe of the dish (in English).
If any of the Finalists are unable to participate in or attend the live final in accordance with the Organiser’s instructions and/or provide a full recipe in a form acceptable to the Organiser:
- that Finalist will not be eligible to win any of the major prizes; and
- may notify one of the Runners Up that they are entitled to participate in the live virtual final and to become a Finalist.
At the sole discretion of the Organiser, entrants to Phase 1 may be invited to watch or virtually attend the live final event subject to any conditions set by the Organiser.
Entrants participating in the live virtual final event must have access to Zoom and a good internet connection.
Art 4-THE FINAL
During the live final, each Finalist will be given 10 minutes to re-plate their entry dish, then will be given 5 further minutes to present to the judging panel. The re-plating must showcase the entrant’s skills of art and creativity in plating, each dish must have a name and all ingredients should be pre-cooked/prepared prior to plating time.
The judging panel will, in their sole discretion, determine 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners (based on the evaluation guidelines outlined in Art. 3.1 above) at the conclusion of the live final.
Art. 5 – JUDGING PANEL
For both Phase 1 and Phase 2, all valid entries will be individually judged by a panel appointed by the Organiser which will be composed of:
- 2 Professional chefs (including the AAA Barilla Regional Chef)
- 1 food photographer
All valid entries will be judged having regard to the overall quality of the entry, including artistic and creative merit, originality and the following specific criteria:
- entire dish must be edible and cooked (excluding garnish)
- parallelism between pasta and art;
- pasta being featured as the ‘hero’ of the dish;
- the use of seasonal products; and
- no waste: the use of a circular kitchen, where every possible part of the ingredient is used.
The judging panel will determine the finalists and winners by applying the criteria set out above and by selecting the entries which, in the opinion of the panel, best satisfy the criteria. In the event the judging panel is unable to make a unanimous decision, finalists and winners will be determined by a simple majority vote of the members of the judging panel. The judges’ decision is final.
This is a game of skill and chance plays no part in determining the successful entries and winners.
Art. 6 – WINNERS & PRIZES
All 5 Finalists who participate in the live, virtual final will receive a Barilla Editorial, to be hosted on Barilla’s website, https://www.barilla.com/en-au, and social media pages. This includes an interview and written profile of the finalist.
There are three major prizes that will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. The major prizes are as follows:
1. First prize value up to $1,300 plus FIC 2022 membership card valued at $110
2. Second prize value up to $700 plus FIC 2022 membership card valued at $110
3. Third prize value up to $500 plus FIC 2022 membership card valued at $110
First prize includes: [Photography Masterclass]
Second prize includes: [Go-Pro 9 with assorted accessories]
Third prize includes:[Apple iPad]
Winners of the major prizes will be announced at the conclusion of the live final and will be separately notified by [email] on [26th October 2021]. A list of the major prize winners will also be publicly available via a post on the Barilla and FIC Australia Instagram pages, @barillaaus and @ficaustraliaand and the Barilla website, https://www.barilla.com/en-au, from [26th October 2021].
A prize is not exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash, unless otherwise agreed by the Organiser. If the prize (or part of the prize) is unavailable, the Organiser, in their discretion, reserve the right to substitute the prize (or that part of the prize) with a prize to the equal value and/or specification, subject to any written directions from a regulatory authority.
Any tax liability arising as a result of accepting any prize is the responsibility of the winner.
The FICC 2022 membership card will be subject to the terms and conditions of membership available here. Winners will be responsible for redeeming their membership and must complete a membership application form here in order to receive the membership.
Art. 7 - CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION
By participating in this Competition, you grant Barilla an exclusive, royalty free, perpetual, worldwide licence to use and exploit your entry and authorise each of Barilla and FIC Australia to:
- use and publish your recipe, dish, image, name, likeness, and voice, for use in any digital product on any platform for any purpose without payment or other consideration; and use or publish such finished product and you waive any right to inspect or approve the finished product and
- record, film, live stream, photograph or capture your image & recipe dish during the live-stream event, in any media used now or in the future and authorise Barilla Australia to edit, alter, copy, exhibit, publish or distribute such media.
If you are a Finalist, you agree to be reasonably available to the Organiser to participate in activities relating to the development of the Barilla Editorial and any other public relations activities relating to the Competition.
Art. 8 – GENERAL
The Organiser reserves the right to request that a winner provides proof of eligibility, proof of identity, proof of age, and/or proof of residency in order to claim a prize. Proof of eligibility, identification, residency, and age considered acceptable for verification purposes is at the discretion of the Organiser. If there is a dispute as to the eligibility or identity of an entrant or whether the work of the winner is their own work, the Organiser reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to determine the eligibility and/or identity of the entrant. Any entry that is posted by automatic, repetitive, robotic, programmed or similar entry methods or agents, or that is deemed not to be an original work of the entrant (as determined in the absolute discretion of the Organiser) will void the entrant’s entry. To the extent permitted by law, if the Organiser suffer loss or incur any costs in connection with any breach of these terms and conditions or any other legal obligation by an entrant (including any alleged infringement of third party intellectual property rights), the entrant agrees to indemnify the Organiser for those losses, damages and costs on a full indemnity basis.
The Organiser and its associated agencies and companies exclude all liability however arising except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, for any direct or indirect injury, loss and/or damage arising in any way out of the Competition. Nothing in these terms operates to limit, exclude or modify the application of the Australian Consumer Law.
If this Competition is not capable of running as planned for any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Organiser, including but not limited to pandemic, war, terrorism, state of emergency or disaster (including natural disaster), loss of data, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, technical failures or anything which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Competition, the Organiser reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition and/or, if necessary, to provide an alternative prize or prizes to the same value as an original prize or prizes.
This Competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram. Entrants release Instagram from any and all liability resulting from this Competition.
In these terms and conditions: "Australian Consumer Law" means Schedule 2 of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth). "Intellectual property rights" means all present and future rights of whatever nature anywhere in the world including, but not limited to, rights in respect of or in connection with copyright, inventions (including patents), trademarks, service marks, trade names, domain names, designs, confidential information, trade secrets and know-how and similar industrial, commercial and intellectual property rights, whether or not registered or registrable, and includes the right to apply for the registration of such rights, and whether existing in Australia.
WHY CHOOSE BARILLA?
- Barilla are the number 1 pasta and sauce brand across the globe, with a rich history spanning back to 1877.
- All Barilla pasta is made with the highest quality durum wheat.
- Good for you, good for the planet is our way of doing business. All our products and brands aim to bring the world food that is joyful, healthy and honest, inspired by the Italian lifestyle and the Mediterranean diet. To find out more about our recipe for good living, click here.
- Our Barilla for Professionals team have over 30 years’ experience in the hospitality industry, together they can provide you with:
- Professional support and Italian menu consultation
- Food cost and technical support
- Tailor made Food Service staff training, held in the Barilla commercial kitchen in Annandale, Sydney
More Information About Barilla Food Service
Meet Our Chef!
Regional Executive Chef, Barilla Australia
Fluent in five languages and with work experience in Italy, America, France, China, and Japan, Barilla's Regional Executive Chef, Andrea Tranchero, brings with him invaluable experience from across the globe. Lured into the culinary world at an early age, and with a career spanning over 30 years, Andrea has developed his own unique flair for Italian cuisine.