Mezzi Rigatoni Mediterranean Bouillabaisse Recipe
Take your taste buds to the Mediterranean and warm up your senses with this delectable seafood pasta stew. Brimming over with clams, mussels and shrimp, this bouillabaisse recipe is a veritable seafood extravaganza. Saffron adds a subtle aroma and the bite-sized mezzi rigatoni pasta are perfect for soaking up all that flavorful sauce. Ideal for cooler winter months or really any time you're looking for a pasta recipe to help you stick to a well balanced Mediterranean style diet, this seafood bouillabaisse is versatile and just unique enough to break up the seafood pasta recipe norm.
Mezzi Rigatoni Mediterranean Seafood BouillabaisseServes: 8
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 box Barilla® Mezzi Rigatoni
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, thinly sliced
1 pinch saffron zest and juice of 1 orange
1 can (14 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
3 cups clam juice
3 cups unsalted chicken broth
2 pounds fresh small clams, scrubbed well
2 pounds fresh mussels, scrubbed well
2 pounds peeled & deveined large shrimp (31/35 count)
kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Cook rigatoni pasta as directed on package; drain. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in heavy saucepan on medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions and fennel. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Add saffron, orange zest and juice, tomatoes, clam juice and broth; bring to simmer. Cook 2 minutes.
3. Add clams; cover. Cook 1 minute. Add mussels; cover. Cook 1 minute.
4. Add pasta and shrimp; cover. Cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are opaque and shellfish have opened. (Discard any clams or mussels that have not opened).
5. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley.
Photo Credit: Lou Manna