Sweet & Spicy Lasagna Recipe with Short Ribs and Plantains
Spicy chipotle flavors mix together with sweet, crispy plantains to create this tangy and delectable take on lasagna. Ground short ribs, garlic, green peppers, cilantro, chipotle adobo, oregano, olives, raisins and plantains pack this incredible fusion pasta bake with heaps of flavor. Short on time? No problem—Barilla® Oven-Ready Lasagna sheets don’t require boiling, which means you have one less pasta cooking prep step to worry about. Just cook the recipe ingredients, layer everything together in a baking dish and pop it in the oven for a delicious sweet, savory, and spicy lasagna recipe. After crafting this tasty dinner idea, don't forget to browse our other passion fueled lasagna recipes.
Barilla®Oven-Ready Lasagna with Short Rib and PlantainsServings: 12
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
1 box of Barilla® Oven-Ready Lasagna, uncooked
1 lbs. of ground short rib
1 onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 green pepper, minced
½ chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon of chipotle adobo
2 teaspoons of oregano
2 tablespoons of vinegar
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 bay leaves
8 green stuffed olives, halved
½ cup of raisins
¼ cup of tomato sauce
4 plantains, peeled and sliced into strips
Vegetable oil (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
2. Butter square pan with 1 tablespoon of butter.
3. Combine the short rib, onion, garlic, pepper, cilantro, chipotle adobo, oregano, vinegar, and salt. Mix well.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 table spoons of olive oil and add meat mixture. Cook the short rib until brown and the juices bubble up.
5. Add bay leaves, olives, raisins, and tomato sauce. Mix and let simmer for 10 minutes, set aside.
6. Heat a large frying pan with just enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom. Fry plantains for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden and slightly crispy. Drain on a plate with a paper towel and set aside.
7. In the square pan, place the lasagna sheets to form the first layer. Add the braised short rib and top with plantains. Repeat the same process for the next layer.
8. Top off the with a final layer of lasagna sheets.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbling and slightly brown in the corners.
10. Garnish with a plantain and enjoy!
Recipe and Photo Credit: Chef Santiago Gomez