Pistachio Pesto Penne Inspired by Paul Nicklen
Paul Nicklen is bringing green ideology to the masses—naturally, his favorite pasta’s green, too. Learn how to make Paul Nicklen’s Pistachio Pesto Penne recipe from Episode 9 of While the Water Boils.
1 box Barilla Penne
5 tbs extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1 clove garlic
1/3 cup grated Romano Cheese
1/3 cup grated parmigiano
4 tbs pistachio
10 leaves basil
10 leaves Italian parsley
2 sprigs oregano, only leaves
1 pint multicolor cherry tomatoes, halved
3 ice cubes
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, season with salt.
2. Heat pan over medium flame, drizzle in olive oil, add panko and salt and pepper. Sauté bread crumbs until crispy.
3. Meanwhile, process in a food processor cheeses, garlic, herbs and pistachios with 3 cubes of ice. Gradually add remaining olive oil, season with salt and pepper, set aside.
4. In a very hot skillet blister tomatoes with remaining oil, season with salt and pepper.
5. Cook pasta according to directions, drain and toss with pesto sauce and tomatoes.
6. Top with crispy panko bread crumbs before serving.