Gemelli with Spicy Chickpeas, Rosemary & Cherry Tomatoes
Spicy and flavorful, this Gemelli pasta dish isn’t complete without nutrient-dense chickpeas. These beans are part of the pulse family, which are nutrient-rich seeds like beans, lentils and peas.
1 box Barilla Gemelli pasta
1 clove garlic, gently pressed
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 Calabrian pepper, chopped (or red pepper flakes to taste)
1 sprig rosemary
1-16 oz. can chickpeas, drained
2 pints multi-color cherry tomatoes
½ cup Romano cheese , grated
Salt to taste
I teaspoon Italian parley, chopped
1. Bring a pot of water to boil.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium sized skillet, at high heat, add half of the olive oil, garlic, red pepper and rosemary. Sauté until garlic turns slightly colored, about 1 minute.
3. Add drained chickpeas and tomatoes, season with salt and allow the mixture to cook out for about 5 minutes to develop the flavors. Discard rosemary sprig.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions. Drain and toss with chickpeas mixture and ½ cup of cooking water.
5. Finish with cheese, parsley and remaining olive oil, serve immediately.