Gemelli with Spicy Chickpeas, Rosemary and Fresh Cherry Tomatoes
Spicy and flavorful, this gemelli dish isn’t complete without nutritious-dense garbanzo beans. These beans are part of the pulse family, which are nutrient-rich seeds like beans, lentils and peas.
1 box gemelli
1 clove garlic, gently pressed
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 calabrian pepper, chopped (or red pepper flakes to taste)
1 sprig rosemary
1-16 oz. can chickpeas
2 pints multicolor cherry tomatoes
½ cup Romano cheese , grated
Salt to taste
I teaspoon Italian parley, chopped
1. Bring a pot of water to boil.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium sized skillet, at high heat, add half olive oil, garlic, red pepper and rosemary. Sauté until garlic turns slightly colored, about 1 minute.
3. Add drained chick peas and tomatoes, season with salt and allow the mixture to cook out for about 5 minutes to develop the flavors. Discard rosemary sprig.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions. Drain and toss with chickpeas mixture and ½ cup of cooking water.
5. Finish with cheese, parsley and remaining olive oil, serve immediately.