Baked Ziti with Mushrooms, Caramelized Onions & Chorizo
We're thankful for so many things—and mouthwatering baked pasta dishes are many of them. This baked ziti pasta recipe with chorizo, mushrooms and cartelized onions is the perfect dish for a cozy dinner party. It also makes a great addition to any Thanksgiving spread.
Baked Ziti with Chorizo, Mushrooms & Caramelized OnionsServes: 8
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1 box Barilla Ziti
1 pound Mexican-style chorizo sausage, removed from casings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 cups (about 8 oz.) sliced cremini mushrooms
3 cups roasted tomato salsa
4 ounces shredded Chihuahua cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cook ziti as directed on package. Drain; return to pan.
3. Meanwhile, cook chorizo in large skillet on medium-high heat 5 to 7 min. or until slightly browned; drain.
4. Heat oil in same skillet on medium-high heat; add onions and mushrooms. Cook and stir 4 to 6 min. or until onions are golden brown. Stir in chorizo and salsa.
5. Combine chorizo mixture and pasta. Spoon into 8 small (1 cup) baking dishes sprayed with nonstick spray (or into 13x9-inch baking dish). Top with shredded cheese.
6. Bake ziti pasta dish 8 to 10 min. or until cheese is melted.
Ingredient Tip: Chihuahua cheese, also called asadero or Oaxaca, is a soft, mild Mexican cheese that melts easily.
Photo Credit: Lou Manna