Fusion Ajiaco Recipe with Barilla Medium Pasta Shells
Ajiaco is a classic Columbian soup made with chicken, potatoes and corn. Try adding Barilla Medium Shells to soak up and hold the delicious broth and turn this soup from a classic to a fusion pasta recipe all star. The results will be delicious.
For other fusion pasta or pasta soup recipes, look no further than Barilla! Let us inspire you to keep cooking and keep savoring.
Ajiaco Pasta Soup with Medium Shell PastaServings: 8
Prep Time: 20mins
Cook Time: 60mins
1 box of Barilla Medium Shells
2 large chicken breasts, bone-in and skin-on (about 1½ pounds)
1 white onion, roughly chopped
5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 bunch of cilantro with stems, washed well and tied with twine
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of freshly ground pepper
1½ pounds of mixed potatoes (Red, Yukon Gold and Russets), peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
2 to 3 ears of fresh corn, cut crosswise into quarters, or 1 ½ cups of frozen corn kernels
2 tablespoons of dried guascas
Capers (to finish)
Heavy cream (to finish)
1. Bring 4-6 quarts of water to a boil. Add salt to taste.
2. Add medium shell pasta to boiling water – for authentic “al dente” pasta shells boil for 11 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain well. Set pasta aside.
3. In a large pot with water, place the chicken breasts, onion, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce to medium heat and cook for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and tender. Remove the chicken and set aside.
5. Add the corn, red potatoes, white potatoes, and the guascas. Add the medium pasta shells.
6. Cut the chicken meat into small pieces and mix in.
7. Serve the Ajiaco pasta soup with capers and heavy cream on the side and enjoy!
Recipe and Photo Credit: Chef Santiago Gomez