Seafood Pasta Recipe with Thick Spaghetti and MusselsPlanning an elegant date night at home? This simple pasta dish is sure to impress. Thick spaghetti makes the perfect base for fresh mussels with white wine and garlic. Plus, hot red peppers add some delightful heat.
1 box Barilla® Thick Spaghetti
2 lbs. mussels
½ cup dry white wine
2 garlic cloves, minced
Whole hot red peppers, to taste
4 tbs.extra-virgin olive oil
Italian parsley, chopped, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; drain thick pasta noodles three minutes earlier than recommended in package instructions and set one cup of the pasta water aside.
2. Meanwhile, steam mussels with white wine in a covered pot.
3. Turn off heat when mussels are thoroughly cooked and have opened.
4. Meanwhile,in a separate skillet, sauté two cloves of minced garlic and hot red peppers with two tbs.extra-virginolive oil for one minute.
5. Add liquid from mussels and stir in undercooked spaghetti.
6. Sauté over high heat for three minutes; if needed, add some reserved pasta water (this will finalize the pasta cooking process).
7. Stir in mussels, Italian parsley and a generous drizzle of aromatic extra-virgin olive oil before serving.
Recipe and Photo Credit: Chef Lorenzo Boni